Food is love, and this Valentine’s Day brunch spread is loveliness incarnate. EB’s Alex took to the kitchen to whip up a decadent breakfast of Gluten-Free Nutella Pancakes with Fresh Sliced Strawberries. Look for the how-to behind our pretty Carnation Garland in an upcoming Earthbound Blog post and reemerge a refreshed you.
- 1 cup gluten-free pancake mix (we used Pamela’s Baking & Pancake Mix)
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. chia seeds
- ¾ cup water
- 1 jar Nutella
- coconut oil or cooking spray
- powdered sugar
- fresh strawberries
- maple syrup
1. On a piece of parchment or wax paper drop 4 1-teaspoon dollops of Nutella. Place in freezer for 1 hour.
2. Into a mixing bowl sift pancake mix. Add egg, water and vegetable oil. Mix with a spatula. Add 1 teaspoon chia seeds.
3. Heat coconut oil or cooking spray in a skillet to medium-low .
4. Pour pancake batter into heated skillet, let cook for 2 minutes. Place 1 dollop of frozen Nutella in center of cake; cover with enough additional batter to barely cover Nutella. Cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes more Tip: Keep Nutella in freezer until ready to drop in skillet.
5. For Heart Stencil: In the center of a piece of paper draw and cut out a heart (if you’re artistically challenged fold the paper in half and draw/cut out a halfheart). Place the paper heart frame over top of the pancake, sift powdered sugar through the cut-out.
6. Garnish with blueberries, strawberries and oats. Just before eating (so as not to mess up the sugared heart), drizzle maple syrup over top.